SANTA CRUZ WINS ON CBS
Leo Santa Cruz W12 Alberto Guevara...
Pro boxing returned to the CBS television network on Saturday afternoon for the first time in 15 years. as unbeaten Leo Santa Cruz retained his IBF bantamweight championship with a closely contested twelve-round unanimous decision win over previously unbeaten Alberto Guevara from the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena.
Santa Cruz (23-0-1, 13 KOs) won the lone bout on the CBS broadcast, the network’s first since Bernard Hopkins knocked out Glen Johnson on Jan. 20, 1997, by the scores of 119-109, 118-110 and 116-112. Making his initial start in the United States, Guevara (16-1, 6 KOs) of San Diego, Calif., made it close for six rounds but couldn’t sustain his momentum as Santa Cruz came on strongly to close the show.
Santa Cruz was making the third defense of the IBF 118-pound title he won over Vusi Malinga last June 2nd.
The 24-year-old Santa Cruz didn’t dominate Guevara like he did the previous two challengers, but credit goes to Guevara for taking the aggressive Santa Cruz out of his game plan – at least for a while. It also didn’t help Santa Cruz that he hurt his right hand.
“I’m sorry I didn’t give as good of a show today. I felt a little different. I couldn’t breathe after the third round, so I had to breathe through my mouth. I messed up my right hand in sparring -- that’s why I moved to southpaw.
I usually throw more body shots, but he was running too much. I have been fighting a lot in the last several months and didn’t give my body enough time to rest.”
Guevara was fighting for the first time outside his native Mexico. His plan from the outset was to not allow the defending champ to dictate the pace. He was successful for much of the early rounds.
“I think I did great. I was very tough for him,” Guevara, a virtual unknown coming in, said. “Leo is very good, very tough and very strong. I know I hurt him in the 12th round, but he hurt me in the fifth.
I said that I was going to be in there and not run around. I had to stay with my style and box. I felt like I trained for one and a half men. They called us for the fight three weeks ago.”
source: golden boy press release
JoJo Diaz W4 Vicenta Alfaro... In non-televised action, Joseph “Jo-Jo” Diaz Jr., a 2012 U.S. Olympian from South El Monte, Calif., scored one knockdown en route to winning a lopsided four-round decision over Vicente Alfaro (5-3, 1 KO) of Northfield, Minn. Due to time constraints, the Diaz fight did not make the CBS broadcast. Diaz, a southpaw who triumphed by scores of 40-35 on all three scorecards.
Two of Diaz’s U.S. Olympic teammates were also victorious. Junior middleweight Errol Spence Jr. (2-0, 2 KO’s), of Brentwood, N.Y., won by second-round knockout over Richard Andrews (5-3-3, 2 KO’s), of Charlottesville, Va., and light heavyweight Marcus Browne (2-0, 2 KO’s), of Staten Island, N.Y., registered a first-round knockout over Ritchie Cherry (3-6, 1 KO), of Oklahoma City, Okla.