Register Now!!!
Iron Mike Productions Pardon Jack Johnson
DBE IBO
Box Fan Expo
Scroll Videos Left
Carl Froch interview by: AlonzoLucian Bute interview by: AlonzoAaron Pryor jr. interview: By Alonzo Adonis Stevenson interview by: AlonzoDavid Lemieux interview by: AlonzoJoachim Alcine interview by: AlonzoGlen Johnson interview vs Bute: By Alonzo Lucian Bute interview by: AlonzoKhan-Malignaggi video coverageKhan-Malignaggi video coverage
Scroll Videos Right


March 29, 2013

DKP SNAGS APRIL 12TH SHOBOX DATE

Press Release: Lightweight Angelo “La Cobra” Santana (14-0, 11 KOs), from Miami, Fla., faces Carlos Cardenas (20-6-1, 13 KOs), from Venezuela, and junior welterweight Amir “Young Master” Imam (8-0, 7 KOs), from Albany, N.Y., meets Jeremy “Hollywood” Bryan (16-2, 7 KOs), from Paterson, N.J., in the co-feature on Friday, April 12nd at Treasure Island Resort & Casino in Las Vegas. The ShoBox: The New Generation doubleheader will be televised on Showtime beginning at 10 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast).  It will take place in the Treasure Island Ballroom and is promoted by Don King Productions.  Tickets can be purchased through the Treasure Island box office or by calling (866) 712-9308 or (702) 894-7723. 

The twelve-round main event will decide the WBA interim lightweight title.  Santana, a 24-year-old southpaw, was a two-time national champion in Cuba before defecting to Miami to follow his dreams of winning a boxing title.  Blessed with heavy hands, he has stopped his last seven opponents in five rounds or less.  Santana served notice that he was a force to be reckoned with by registering a third-round technical knockout out over Justin Savi on June 23, 2012.

Santana won his last fight via fifth-round knockout on Nov. 16th over previously undefeated Johnny Garcia—who gained attention in early 2012 by out-pointing Cuban prospect Yordenis Ugas. Santana scored three knockdowns, one in the first and two in the fifth. He finished Garcia with a picturesque right-left combination.

Cardenas is a tough Venezuelan who campaigned at super featherweight until last year.  At 28, he possesses an experience edge over Santana.  While this will be the first 12-round match for Santana, Cardenas will be making his seventh appearance in a 12-round fight.

Promoter Don King sees similarities between boxers, civil rights pioneers and the American dream.

“I have named the event Fight For Freedom …The Dream Lives On in dedication to all the Freedom Fighters and trail blazers who fought for a better America,” King said.  “My boxer Angelo Santana risked his life on a raft from Cuba with 27 others, braving the hazards of the ocean and inclement weather to arrive in the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave.  The Dream lives on.”

“On the night of this fight, it will be exactly 31 years since we lost the inimitable and incomparable ‘Brown Bomber’ Joe Louis.  I remember a memorial we had at Caesars Palace with me and Frank Sinatra on behalf of the great champion of freedom and the boxing world.  Remember what Joe said during World War II: ‘We can’t lose because God is on our side.’  The Dream lives on.

“I recently saw that Warner Bros. will launch their new movie “42” on the night of our fight.  Branch Rickey broke the color barrier in Major League Baseball on April 15, 1947, and now Jackie Robinson is an American hero.  The Dream lives on.

The eight-round ShoBox co-feature showcases two very accomplished amateurs that are gaining notice as professionals.  Imam, 22, will be facing his toughest opponent to date in the more experienced Bryan, 27.

Imam has won all but one of his fights by knockout.  Since winning a four-round decision in his pro debut on Nov. 5, 2011, Imam has won seven fights in a row by knockout, all inside four rounds. 

Bryan was a National Golden Gloves Champion and national under-19 champion who notched wins over current world 140-pound champion Danny Garcia and former world-title challenger John Molina in the amateurs. Bryan, a pro since November 2007, is coming off the biggest win of his career, an eight-round unanimous decision over former European champion Yuri Romanov on Jan. 4th in Miami.

In the top non-televised undercard bout, Ryan “The Irish Outlaw” Coyne (21-0, 9 KOs), from St. Louis, and Marcus Oliveira (24-0-1, 19 KOs), from Lawrence, Kan., will collide in a WBA light heavyweight elimination bout. The two were to have met on the undercard of Bernard Hopkins vs. Tavoris Cloud on March 9th before Coyne suffered a cut during training that resulted in a postponement.

Coyne gained attention while campaigning as a cruiserweight when he was chosen to participate in the fourth season of  The Contender.  He made it to the semi-finals before suffering an accidental headbutt that forced him to leave the competition. 

Coyne is 3-0 since moving down to the 175-pound limit in October 2011.

Oliveira has shown considerable power by winning 19 of his 25 matches by knockout, a 76% knockout ratio.  He scored a pair of third-round knockouts in fights against his most notable opponents: former cruiserweight titlist Kelvin “Concrete” Davis in 2008 and Antwun Echols on Jan. 28, 2012.



Box Fan Expo
RDM
BIG DOG.
WBO
Iron Mike Productions
Boxingtalk Store
BoxingShow.TV
James Prince Boxing
Grant Boxing
8 count news
Google


BOXINGTALK.COM

© BOXINGTALK INC.  ALL RIGHTS RESERVED