AFOLABI: "HUCK WILL NEED A WHEELCHAIR" AFTER OUR JUNE 8TH FIGHT
Press Release: While challenger Ola Afolabi (19-2-4, 9 KOs) said he would hug and shake hands with his WBO cruiserweight champion Marco Huck (35-2-1, 25 KOs) after their third in-ring meeting on June 8th at the Max-Schmeling-Halle in Berlin, Germany, those attending Monday's press conference were not really convinced. Before Afolabi's attempt to calm things down, he and Huck got into a heated exchange of words, started by Huck, a 28-year-old German. “Afolabi is starting to get on my nerves. I beat him in December 2009. After I fought Alexander Povetkin for the WBA heavyweight crown, it was difficult for me to find the right motivation for my rematch with Afolabi in May last year [which resulted in a majority draw]. However, I believe that I actually won that bout. [This time], I will win in my own backyard. We won’t be playing cat and mouse anymore. This will be a war – I won’t be holding back.”
That was the cue for Afolabi to start his own rant. “Huck shouldn’t be able to call himself world champion anymore. In my opinion, he lost on three previous occasions. He lost against Lebedev, he lost against me and also against Arslan. He should only be able to call himself German Champion or champion of Berlin,” said the 33-year-old. The Brit stated that he is planning to humiliate Huck in front of his own fans. “I would be ready to take him on this weekend.” Then Afolabi directed his next words directly towards Huck. “Everybody knows that I have always been a good technician, but now my fitness level is also excellent. I will seriously hurt you come June 8th. You will need a wheelchair after the fight,” said the Los Angeles based cruiserweight.
It is obvious that there is a lot of tension in the air, also partially due to the duel between the two most popular and respected coaches of German boxing. Once again Ulli Wegner (Huck's coach) and Fritz Sdunek (who trains Afolabi) will stand in opposite corners.